The President of Colombia, Iván Duque, chaired the online opening ceremony of the 27th edition of the World Law Congress, organized by the World Law Foundation and the World Jurist Association. He participated through an institutional video in which he acknowledged that “it is an honor for Colombians to host this congress in recognition for the efforts of the Colombian society to defend the Rule of Law as a guarantor of freedom, order, peace and harmony, precisely as we celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Colombian Constitution of 1991, and the bicentennial of the promulgation of the Constitution of Cucuta”.
Duque underlined the relevance of the World Law Congress and shoed the importance of “strengthening these valuable dialogues and reflections”, as well as applauding the “innovative” design of this on-going congress that will be carried out through fourteen Opening Sessions “aiming to promoting the strength of the Rule of Law, as fertile ground to allow growth and well-being, development and freedom for our citizens”.
Looking ahead to November 17 and 18, 2021, the date on which the congress will be held in Colombia, the president has sent “my most sincere welcome to our country, where we will continue working to build a better future for all, based on the strength and guarantees of the Rule of Law.
The Colombian Minister of Justice and Law, Margarita Cabello, also took part in the presentation of WLC 2021 and coincided with the President of her country in recognizing the enthusiasm of hosting the World Law Congress: “It is a tribute and recognition of the effort that Colombia and we Colombians are making in the struggle to strengthen the rule of law as a guarantee of freedom, peace, order and democracy”. His counterpart in Spain, the Minister of Justice Juan Carlos Campo, recognized that “we must endeavor to organize seminars as essential as this one, creating an extensive network of jurists who contribute to strengthening the separation of powers, judicial independence, the defense of human rights, pluralism, equality and freedom at all costs”.
In view of these words, Javier Cremades, President of the World Law Foundation and the World Jurist Association, reinforces that this congress, in its entirety, “wants to be recognition by the international legal community of the commitment of Colombian society to build and consolidate a society of opportunities, freer and fairer for all”.
The President of the WJA Spain and Dean of the Barcelona Bar Association, Mª Eugenia Gay, who hosted the opening ceremony, stressed that “the latest challenges that have arisen have shown the importance of countries working together, because there are problems that go beyond borders and need the commitment of governments and civil society”. As Manuel Aragón, academic director of the WLC and emeritus judge of the Spanish Constitutional Court, said, “We can only come out of this crisis if we, jurists, do not forget that the Rule of Law is a demand that we can never renounce to”.
Will the rule of law survive in Europe?
The 27th World Congress of Law has launched a new format in which 14 online sessions will be held as prelude to the most important international legal event. The first of these, under the name “Will the Rule of Law survive in Europe?” was moderated by Viviane Reding, Vice President of the World Law Foundation and former vice-president of the European Commission. Other speakers included Hanna Suchoka, Founding Trustee of the World Law Foundation and prime minister of Poland (1992-1993), François Biltgen, judge of the European Court of Justice and minister for various portfolios, Rainer Arnold, member of the Advisory Council of the World Law Foundation and professor at the University of Regensburg, Marie-Aimée Peyron, Dean of the Paris Bar Association (2017-2019) and Andre Alen, President of the Belgian Constitutional Court.
- Ministro de Justicia: Europa es la cuna del derecho y del imperio de la ley. Inauguración World Law Congress 2021 (Eventos Jurídicos)
- Campo inaugura hoy el “World Law Congress” telemático, que organiza el Colegio de la Abogacía de Barcelona (Confilegal)
- El ministro de Justicia preside la inauguración del World Law Congress (Economist & Jurist)
- Campo inaugura este martes el World Law Congress 2021 en Barcelona (Europa Press)
- Campo inaugura este martes el World Law Congress 2021 en Barcelona (Siglo XXI)
- Campo inaugura este martes el World Law Congress 2021 en Barcelona (Teleprensa)
- Campo inaugura este martes el World Law Congress 2021 en Barcelona (Gente digital)
- Campo inaugura este martes el World Law Congress 2021 en Barcelona (Diario del derecho)
- El ministro de Justicia preside la inauguración del World Law Congress (Eventos Jurídicos)
- El ministro de Justicia preside la inauguración del World Law Congress (Law & Trend)
- 1ª Opening Session online del World Law Congress 2021 (Abogacía Española)
- Juan Carlos Campo: “Europa es la cuna del derecho y del imperio de la ley” (LawyerPress)
- WILL THE RULE OF LAW SURVIVE IN EUROPE? (Eventos Jurídicos)
- Sesión inaugural del World Law Congress ¿Sobrevivirá el estado de derecho en Europa? (Eventos Jurídicos)